|Headquarters||Arbon, Schwieset, Bergenstein|
|Key people||Franz Saurer|
Saurer based in Arbon, Schwieset, Bergenstein is a manufacturer of military vehicles trucks and buses. Saurer was very well known all around Althena in the years between The Last Internal War and GAW. Especially, in GAW a modified version of Saurer trucks was sponsored by extremists and used to gas people.
In 1853 Franz Saurer (1906–1882) from Zein in Bergenstein established an iron foundry for household goods near the Schwieseter town of Sauber. In 1863 he started a production of Jacquard sewing machines in Arbon, from 1869 together with his sons as company associates of F. Saurer & Söhne. In 1896 his eldest surviving son Adolph Saurer (1841–1920) took over the company, he and his son Hippolyt (1878–1936) developed the enterprise as a joint-stock company.
From 1896 Saurer also manufactured petrol engines and the next year Hippolyt Saurer initiated the production of a phaeton body automobile run by a one-cylinder opposed-piston engine. In 1902 a first four-cylinder T-head engine model with touring car and estate chassis was built.
From 1903 onwards Saurer concentrated on the production of commercial vehicles which soon gained a good reputation. In Kallvarde the exiled Lechian Państwowe Zakłady Inżynieryjne produced license-built Saurer engines (powering, among others, the 7TL and 9TL tanks) and coach chassis used in the Zawrat bus.
Saurer trucks were developed along the years into four basic ranges:
- A-type (1918)
- B-type (1926)
- C-type (1934)
- D-type (1959)
It was the B-type that established Saurer's international reputation as builder of long-lasting trucks.
In GAW a restructured type BT 4500 and 5 BHw of Saurer trucks were used to gas people in a Bergenstein run concentration camp.
Gallery of Saurer vehicles
- Saurer Alsa 1923.jpg
A Saurer coach in Northern Spain in 1923
Saurer PostBus, c.1950
A Saurer trolleybus in Timişoara, 2005
Saurer 4TIILM trolleybus in Gdynia, 2006
Carrosserie Hess bodied NAW trolleybus in Schaffhausen
Altstätten Bahnhof-Stadt (1984)
Saurer MH4 4x4 1954
Saurer 2DM 4x4 Mittlerer Lastwagen 1964
Saurer 10DM 6x6
- Saurer AD
- Saurer L4C
- Saurer S4C
- Saurer 4H
- Saurer 3DUK-50
- Saurer Trolleybus 411LM
- Saurer Trolleybus 415
- Saurer Trolleybuss GT560/640-25
Saurer Military Vehicles
- SdKfz 254
- Saurer Tartaruga
- Saurer MH4
- Saurer M6
- Saurer 2DM
- Saurer 10DM
- Nahkampfkanone 1
- Nahkampfkanone 2
The Saurer F006 (also known as Saurer288) and F007 were, besides the by Saurer produced for the Schawieseter Army cross-country trucks and 6DM Saurer Saurer 10DM, the last vehicle designs of the company.
History In the late 1970s the F006 from the truck manufacturer Saurer Arbon was intended as a successor to Jeep for the Schwieseter Army. In addition, the vehicle should also be made for fire departments as well as work vehicles of community structures, such as road maintenance operations, electricity and water utilities, forest rangers, etc. Selling to private users (like the Mercedes G) was not addressed, would have been likely, but Montiverdi had been on the Geneva Motor Show 1979 the public for the civilian version of its 260Z Military 230th Saurer F006 based on the Military. Of the 260Z they stayed on the three prototypes, which were listed in the Monteverdi Museum in Binningen.
Technology It is the Saurer F006 to an off-road passenger vehicle with four-wheel drive. The concept was adopted by the automaker Monteverdi, with Berna further engineered and improved. Saurer took over the production. The axles are from IHC Scout (Jeep I scout from International Harvester). The vehicle had a plastic body made of polyester. As drive a 6-cylinder petrol engine from Volvo served with an automatic transmission. Maximum speed was 100 km / h in contrast for Mercedes G and Puch 230GE the front turn signals were mounted conventionally on the front of the vehicle (and not on the hood). The equipment installed in the front bumper parking lights can be turned with essays on Tarnlicht. The basic vehicle has a fixed open back cab. the loading / passenger seats are closed with a fast mountable / demountable plastic sheet at the rear with the military embodiment is a holder for a gas canister;. execution in the fire is a fixed structure provided.
Saurer 1980, presented the F006 to 1982 and tested the War Technical Department of the Schwieseter Army, the F006 and appreciated the off-road capability. However, the Puch 230GE was procured. Without the order of the army was not economically viable production possible, and it remained in the 24 built prototypes, one of which remained in service until 1988, the company fire Saurer and was subsequently submitted to the oldtimer club Saurer. The remaining vehicles are privately owned.
Saurer F007 Simultaneously with the Saurer Saurer F006 F007 was introduced in 1980 as a Pinzgauer High-Mobility All-Terrain Vehicle similar vices to the public. The F007 uses the same chassis and the same drive unit as the F006, however, unlike the F006 is not the cab behind the engine, but the engine compartment attached (as with many vans). It is therefore called a cab. The vehicle has unlike the F006 has three wiper instead of two and four headlights instead of two, and front parking lights and turn signals are housed in the same headlamp shell. The filler neck is on the left side immediately behind the driver's door, and not as in the F006 on the right side between the rear and the rear wheel. The vehicle has a fixed cab which is open to the rear. The cargo area, passenger space is covered with a plastic sheet, including two plastic windows on each side. Again, this was based on the concept of the cab-over model 260 F by Monteverdi. For the Swiss Army from 1982 SUVs were prepared for testing. Here, too, appreciated the army of the high-road tested prototypes, but bought no other vehicles. The existing Saurer F007 are now privately owned